Monday, February 8, 2010

Bandages!

This is Mary and I praying with LUJean.



This child had a broken pelvis. and she went home today.YEA!


This child has encephalitis. She was found in a garbage bag on the side of the road. The nurses have named her Hope!

Peter and me


Susie and I wake at 6:30. Breakfast at 7. Eggs and toast. Quiet time. Several sent an encouraging message today from the following scripture, Ephesians 3:14-21, For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! AMEN. WOW, thank yall for the good word.

We go to the hospital, LaMirre. We report in to Madame Jetty. We began making rounds with the doctors and doing bandages. A German nurse told me "Soft nurses make stinky wounds", OK, I get the message. It is really hard to hurt these people who have been hurt so much. It hurts when you remove the bandage and it hurts when you apply a new bandage. Infection is the enemy. Did you see the cat roaming the hospital! We have to hurt them to help them. There are some we give pain meds to because their wounds are really bad. Most are strong and silent, but especially the younger ones cry.

LuJean is her name. She is 18. She is tiny, maybe 75 pounds. She has internal injuries and both feet sustained crush wounds. She is one of three survivors of a nursing school in Port. There were 85 students in the room. She was in the ruble for 3 days. If we pray with her before we change her bandages, she doesn't cry as much. She says she knows Jesus. Please pray for LuJean.

We go to lunch and back to the hospital. I fold bandages for about an hour then Susie, Mary and I organize the bandage baskets. Then we start the rounds for the people who have 2 bandage changes a day. Gary picks us up at 6. At the guest house, Amy had gone to the market and had a little surprise for Susie and I. We had a bag of goodies and a sweet card of appreciation for our first week of service. I had Oreo's and a Twix. YUM!

In our room we find a HUGE spider, a tarantula! Gary said they are our friend, we flushed this one. Note to self, check under sheets. A shower and bed.

We continually pray for those who are praying for us. Thank you, please pray for Shirley, the missionaries and their families, the volunteers, and the Haitians. One of the hospital Haitian staff asked me if my family worried about me being in Haiti at this troubled time? I told him, whether I am in Arkansas or Haiti I am in His care.PTL

2 comments:

  1. I cannot begin to tell you how much you inspire me, reading your posts everyday remind me how good I have things here in Canada and how little my problems are compared to the people in Haiti. Thank you for the work you are doing, we need more people like you in our world. Praying for you and the missonaries you work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Moma" Sheila...I pray for you daily, and I hope that you are being encouraged. I love that you are keeping us informed of what is going on, and I am so proud of you! You are so strong and beautiful and giving so much of yourself to this mission-you glow in every picture I see of you...May God continue to bless you and everyone in your party..and I can't wait to see how much you glow when you come back home!
    (I cried when I was reading your account of everything...it's all so beautiful...hope you understand what I mean!!)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me messages!!!!!